From Bullpup to Bulldog! and Mustang to Bulldog!
Each year in May, Gridley High School Counselors go over to the feeder middle schools and hold 8th grade transition meetings. Parents and students are invited to a 1 hour and 30 min informational meeting in which counselors present information about classes, GHS graduation requirements, College requirements, sports information. and math placement information and Career Technical Education academies.. In addition, counselors work with students and their parents to complete their 9th grade course request in their academic plan (four year plan).
Prior to these transition meetings, 8th graders will take a math placement exam. Placement exam results along with, 8th grade teacher recommendation, state testing results, and students school grades will be used to determine an 8th graders placement into Math at GHS during the 9th grade year.
The GHS counselors are excited and look forward to meeting and working with all of our incoming 8th graders and their parents.
8th Grade Transition Meeting Schedule (Early May)
- Sycamore Middle School: May 10-12, 2022 Location: Sycamore Middle School Library, 8:30a-3:00p (Students and parents will attend only one day)
- Manzanita Middle School: May 6, 2022 Location: Manzanita Middle School Gymnasium, 1:30-3:00p. All parents and students will attend this date and time.
- Parents will receive a letter in the mail about two weeks prior to the transition meeting indicating the time, date and location of their student's meeting.
- Sycamore Students: Course Catalogs will be sent electronically via students GHS EMAIL to the students one week prior to the initial meetings so that students and parents can review the information prior to the counselor visits. Please note the incoming 9th grade course catalogue is differnet than the GHS course catalogue. The GHS 9th Grade Course Catalog can also be viewed in the below link.
- Registration Packets will be distributed to Sycamore students during the 8th grade transition meeting.
- Manzanita Students: Course catalogs will be emailed to parents one week prior to the initial meetings so that students and parents can review the information prior to the counselor visits. Please note the incoming 9th grade course catalogue is differnet than the GHS course catalogue. The GHS 9th Grade Course Catalog can also be viewed in the below link. Please fill out the back 3 pages of the hard copy course catalog registration paperwork that was given to the Manzanita students and bring it to the meeting.
Out of District Students: Call the GHS counseling secretary, Cristina Coats at 530-846-4791 x 6070 to make an appointment for your student to take the Math Placement exam and get scheduled into one the the 8th grade transition meeting dates.